It was time to upgrade to the latest OS and Visual Studio editions at work so why not start over clean, right? Right.
After backing up everything I needed I was off and running and re-loading all my beloved tools when it came time to import my old registered servers list. I thought I was clever; I backed it up "with login and password info" to make life easier. All was well until I imported the file and got the dreaded error message: "Key not valid for use in specified state"
Of course, the servers then showed up but on closing and re-opening SSMS (2008 R2) my registered server list was blank. CRAP!
Luckily I knew where this info was stored and I navigated to %appdata%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\RegSrvr.xml
Upon opening the file in Notepad++ I jumped found the servers that had been setup with SQL Logins and started modifying...
- I removed the encrypted password and uid=xxx bits from the "ConnectionStringWithEncryptedPassword" element.
- I added "trusted_connection=true;" to the connection string modified in step 1
- I changed "PersistLoginNameAndPassword" to "PersistLoginName" in the "CredentialPersistenceType" element.
- I saved the file and crossed my fingers...
Success! I opened SSMS and had no error. My registered server list was intact and all was right with the world. Of course, the login info for a few servers will need to be corrected, but that's much less work than re-registering a pile of servers.
I hope this info will help others in the same boat :)