Tuesday 16 June 2009

Gone Fishing

Trish and I bought a canoe as our first combined big ticket item for our 2 year anniversary and we spent the weekend fishing. It was great! We both got burned and totally relaxed... Without thinking about it this was by far the best anniversary ever.

As for the Fish Cam- I'll still be posting a how-to and I can saw it works. However, I need to put a tint on the lens as the B&W camera is way too sensitive to daylight and it washes out totally. I did a quick test by putting my sunglasses on it and it worked like a charm. Since the camera lens is small I may be able to get away with just putting a piece of old negative film over it. I can't wait to use it more!

Fishing has been going well. We've both caught loads of bluegill, green sunfish, and pumpkinseed. Plus various mixes of them. We've also caught smallmouth and largemouth bass, and Trish caught a rock bass at one point. I've caught the biggest fish so far with the best being a 2-3lb largemouth :)
We do have pics ;) Trish 98% landed a trophy perch. It was at least 20-30cm long and thick! She caught it while reeling in a tiny little perch- greedy cannibal perch! The wildest thing is that she was having trouble unhooking the small (10cm) perch she had on and the massive perch would just sit at the edge of the canoe and watch, then when she would put it back in the water to keep it alive the predator would strike immediately and she'd have to yank the poor little guy out again! I have NEVER seen anything like it! It actually managed to get her fish all the way in it's mouth and she had them both almost in the canoe when it finally spit out the poor little guy and took off for good. I wish we had that on video... just unbelievable and the whole thing went on for about 3 or 4 minutes.

We're thinking that we may try out carp fishing as the local pond in St. Thomas seems to have changed a lot since last year and the pan fish & bass have been largely replaced by carp, carp, and more carp. :( I hear they're tough fighters and there's no doubt they're shy (they go nuts trying to get away from the canoe when we come close) but I'm just not excited about fishing for something where it's just a throw in the line & wait scenario. Oh well, we'll see how it goes...

No comments: