Sunday 1 May 2011

Moving On Up

I'm officially no longer a DBA today, I'm now a "Database Developer"!
In the work-sphere of Information Technology I think this is higher than a lowly administrator, but who knows? I've seen enough TSQL code in my 5 years as a DBA to know that there are a LOT of "database developers" who would be better off using Google to find their code. I'm not kidding but I wish I was.

I'm thrilled to know that this change means no more on-call or after hours maintenance. I look forward to being able to do whatever I want to do whenever I want to do it. My wife does too ;)
I'll take a good pay cut giving up the on-call ball & chain but since time is the only finite resource we've got it's therefore the most precious and I make the trade with no reservations at all.

I'm also really looking forward to being able to be creative again. When I started in IT creativity was a great asset but leaving now I feel it's more of a liability. Creative thinkers who can see and plan beyond the basics have an upward battle whenever they try to go above and beyond. It seems that the larger IT gets, the less flexible it gets. Creative solutions become harder and harder to implement and take more and more selling/politicing/nurturing than one can reasonably put out. When one can see how a more creative solution would work better for less money and with less management required but can't implement it for "soft" reasons it's very demotivating; almost depressing. Live in an environment like that for too long and one becomes bitter.

I'm absolutely thrilled to be moving into an environment where others are willing to listen when a creative idea comes forward and can be demonstrated. The ability to honestly and openly debate technical solutions with my peers on a daily basis has me grinning from ear to ear. It's like a dream come true.

No comments: